Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Do What? : How To Use Chopsticks

Chopsticks are a traditional way to eat Asian foods such as sticky rice and noodle dishes. Chopsticks originated in ancient China as early as the Shang dynasty (1766-1122 BCE). The earliest evidence of a pair of chopsticks was made out of bronze, excavated from the Ruins of Yin near Anyang, Henan, dated roughly at about 1200 BCE.
Southeast Asian countries traditionally ate with their hands, but due to the influence of Chinese missionaries, countries like Indonesia and Thailand started using chopsticks, albeit only with noodle dishes.
Chopsticks are now found everywhere you can find Asian cuisine, so learning how to use them might just be necessary for survival.




How To Use Chopsticks:
1. With the hand of your choice, put one stick in the crook of your thumb, resting it on the top of your ring finger.

2. Put the other chopstick next to the first one in the crook of your thumb, but then hold it between your index and middle fingers, almost like a pencil.

3. When picking something up, the bottom chopstick will remain as a steady base while the top stick applies all of the pressure.

4. This traditional eating method may take some getting used to, but it is good to know when in an Asian restaurant. Enjoy!

~3minuteman

2 comments:

  1. I have been doing this wrong my whole life and I know that, but my method works alright for me and it looks pretty natural. So, I think I will continue to hold my chopsticks wrong.
    Sofie B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any tips or tricks for getting more comfortable with chopsticks? My motions with them are very stiff and forced.

    --
    Quaver

    ReplyDelete