Monday, March 28, 2011

Eat What? : Baby Mouse Wine


Yes, Baby mouse wine, is a common Korean drink said to cure almost any illness from asthma to liver problems. Baby mice only three days old are taken from their mothers and drowned alive in rice moonshine (wine), and set aside to ferment for up to a year. I tend to be ok with different countries traditional foods, but this drink lies more along the lines of animal cruelty; drowning the mice alive? I personally hope I never have the chance to taste this beverage. You may have a different opinion, and if so I would enjoy hearing why you believe this sounds like something you might want to try. If this picture doesn't keep you from gaging at the thought of gulping down one of these babies, I don't know what will.

-Ice Dancer

3 comments:

  1. That is so gross I can't imagine myself drinking that even though I have eaten pretty weird stuff myself. Do they eat the mice in the wine?
    CN

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not just gross, it's so sad!! Poor dead baby mice...I wonder how many they kill a year for that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact some of the mice are swallowed while the wine is being drunk. Pretty nasty. I'm not sure how many are killed in the course of a year though.

    ReplyDelete